Hi. I have been have some tooth pain over last

Dentist
Question
Hi. I have been have some tooth pain over last few weeks near area of tooth where I recently had root canal treatment. I have given a course of Metronidazole 400mg tablets for 7 days but my x Ray has proved inclusive so need to do further tests to establish course. There is a blank lesion in tooth area which apparently according to x rays was also there before I had the root canal so not what that is. X Ray before and after attached. Any suggestions as to what the course would be?
Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2017 in null

Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like infection below the root tips.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

I have viewed the images and I can see Infection below the root tips of the root canal treated tooth..

Due to lingering Infection there is pain still present..

The large round black area does not appear anything pathological..

It is simply an artifact..

So my suggestion is to consult your Dentist.

Antibiotics like Augmentin is more appropriate along with anti inflammatory painkillers like Ibuprofen..
Take for a week..

Hopefully the infection will subside..

Please revert back for more queries..

Hope this helps..

Regards..

Follow-up: Hi. I have been have some tooth pain over last 3 hours later
Thank you. Why is Augmentin more appropriate than the Metronidazole 400mg I have been prescribed? Should I ask the dentist to change the medicine or should I continue with the Metronidazole until the end of course?

Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Complete the course of Metronidazole first.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
You should first complete the course of Metronidazole and see if the infection gets resolved..

In case if you need another course of antibiotics then you can go for Augmentin that contains active ingredients Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium..
It is one of the commonly prescribed combination for tooth infection..

Hope this helps..

Regards.