Hi, I have an allergy to whey protein powder and

Question

I have an allergy to whey protein powder and it causes inflammation in my stomach and gastritis. I like to do bodybuilding and used to take the whey powder after my workouts which would aid in muscle recovery, muscle size and strength. I can no longer take this. I have done some research Pea protein contains a large variety of amino acids and is very good as a post work out. But i don't trust purchasing the supplement from companies in powdered form as It may irritate my stomach and cause further inflammation. have been through difficult time and just want to use fresh ingredients. I would rather make this at home using a blender. are there any alternatives as good as whey with high protein content using fresh ingredients I can blend into a drink after workouts to aid my bodybuilding program? also am I able to blend yellow split peas to make into a drink or they need to be cooked? I will try oats and banana but looking for more ingredients high in protein.
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Weight & Lifestyle
Follow-up: Hi, I have an allergy to whey protein powder and 3 minutes later
I would also like to know, what is the scientific reasoning behind why the whey protein powder is causing inflammation in my stomach? would be great if could get an explanation as to what is happening in the body and which ingredient inside the whey protein powder could be causing the inflammation.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Let me know all ingredients of whey protein power

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Sometimes body can react to one (or many) specific proteins. If there is such a reaction then do not continue exposure to that protein. Another reason could be the digestive enzymes in the powder. These can hyperstimulate GIT. Let me know the brand name or ingredients of the whey protein powder.

Best is to build muscles with exercise and natural food. Chief sources of proteins are eggs, milk, soyabeans, almonds, nut, coconut, lentils and meat. You can take the roasted chick peas. Banana is good.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Hi, I have an allergy to whey protein powder and 14 minutes later
hi,

before i thought it was other ingredients inside the whey powder also so i recently decided to take a natural protein powder with no additive just pure whey concentrate. Iv noticed if i eat more than 3 eggs I have the same effect as taking whey protein powder the symptoms include face flush (face getting hot), tightness in the upper stomach, lightheaded, difficulty breathing (taking deep breaths), general anxiety symptoms increase. so I believe the allergy is with the whey powder itself and not the ingredients. whichever ingredient is inside a whey powder must share the same ingredient in the egg if it is causing this illness. If i eat one or two eggs i generally don't notice any difference so i don't know. i read some articles online that mention people that have lactose intolerance which causes inflammation but i don't know if this is the case for me because i drink milk daily and don't have problem with milk. Any idea what it could be?

after workouts from my research i need protein sources high in l-leucine amino acid, it promotes muscle synthesis, parmesan cheese is high in this. but i don't know what problem I have if it is with dairy or protein.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It seems food allergy/ hypersensitivity

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

From your description you seem to be having hypersensitivity reaction to some food proteins. It does not seem to be lactose intolerance.

Foods contain many proteins. The common proteins in egg and whey protein are ovalbumin and ovomucoid and many others. IgE-Specific tests can confirm such food allergies.

You also need to have bronchodilators with you all the time, in case of emergency difficulty in breathing. Bronchodilators like asthalin syrup andadrenaline injection should always be with you.

Allergies to other food items can be tested either in laboratory or by eating that food.

Hope it helps.
Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Hi, I have an allergy to whey protein powder and 4 hours later
Thanks, will book an appointment with allergy specialist to find out what is causing problem for sure. Is there any other common foods that contain the common protein such as the ones you have mentioned ovalbumin and ovomucoid? Such as cheese or anything else?

Good to know so maybe can avoid until meeting the allergy doctor

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Egg products

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

For now you can just avoid egg, egg products and foods that may contain egg.

Yours is a mild allergy, so no need to worry unnecessarily.

To check about allergy to other foods you can simply get food allergy tests done. This test is available at many reputed laboratories like lalpath lab, SRL, etc and also available at allergy centers.

Dr Vaishalee