Hi, I have a throat infection which started on Friday.

I have a throat infection which started on Friday. I get yellow mucus which is reduced now. But on saturday night I got a pain(kind of piercing) inside my left ear with my ear feeling like its blocked. The pain persisted for 3 hours making me restless and sleepless. After that its subsided but the ear block is still present after 3 days. I got my ear checked and there is no wax. I didn't feel any pain from outside.

I learned that cold and cause some tissues related to ear to swell. I wanted to get clarification on that and any recommendation on if there is any precaution to be taken as the block is still being felt in my ear ( similar to the temporary block which is felt occasionally when I blow my nose )

Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later

Since the ear, throat and nose are internally connected, infections from any part can spread to another.

I suggest you to take a course of antibiotics to get rid of the infection and take steam inhalations with eucalyptus to get rid of the blocked feeling in the ear.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.