Hi, I am slightly overwt but active...walk everyday for around

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am slightly overwt but active...walk everyday for around 45 mins. Dont run ever.... Yesterday i went for 5 km walk but in my enthusiasm ran in between my walking. Last nite i developed a pain on the right side of my foot...in the area where the arch starts - after the heel. Its not the center of the foot but the on right side. Its aggravated when i walk...and is very localized to a specific point. There is no pain when resting.
I am attaching a pic with the area of pain marked. Its only on the right foot. I havent taken any medicine yet.

Please let me know medication / other precautions.

Should i continue with my morning walks.

Thanks.

Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
bursitis

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history and the attached photograph in detail.

The pain seems to be due to bursitis (inflammation of a soft tissue bursa).This may have occured due to running (which you are not used to).

I would suggest you to take rest,refrain from walking for atleast a week till the pain subsides fully.

Take anti inflammatory tablets like ibuprofen,apply local analgesic gel followed by hot fomentation.Application of compression bandage may help.

It would be a better choice if you could avoid climbing stairs and sitting cross legged.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Do follow up with me after 3 days of taking the above medicines to let me know the progress of the symptoms.

If the pain does not subside after 3 days,you should consult a doctor and get a Xray done.

Thank you.
Kind regards.