Hi, I am now 28 weeks pregnant. This is my

Excellent

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Question
Hi, I am now 28 weeks pregnant. This is my first IVF successful pregnancy after three natural early miscarriages.

One month ago my blood report revealed I was very low on vitamin B12. My doctor started B12 injections to take three times a week. I have now taken total seven B12 injection. The last was three days ago. Today's blood report says I have B12 reading of 2000 (normal range is 400 to 999).

My doctor is not going to give me B12 injection for next two weeks. Doctor will do blood test again after two weeks and then will decide.

My ultrasound scans at 23 weeks and 28 weeks are normal. they said baby has normal growth and no obvious defects.

I am concerned that this high level of B12 would affect my baby now. Can it harm my baby?

Why B12 suddenly became too high? I understand because of injections but is B12 going to go down since I have stopped further injections?

I am also on borderline iron and haemoglobin. I am taking iron tablets thrice a day. BUT no improvement in last three weeks. I am vegetarian. Any food suggestions?

I also have hypothyroidism and taking levothyroxine. But it is under control. The last TSH reading was 2.55. Is it ok?

I have read horror stories on internet about low B12 and also high B12. Please give some reassurance.

Thanks.
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Explanation is given below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear and thanks for your query to healthcare magic.

I have read your question carefully and understand your concern.

1.Blood Vit B12 level at 2000 pg/ml after you have done 7 injection is normal ,because our body need time to use it .
Hence don't worry for that level ,because it will decrease after tow weeks .
These levels of Vit B12 doesn't effect your baby ,because it is a temporary level of Vit B12.

2.You will see improvement of Iron and Haemoglobine after three months of taking Iron.
Foods that contain Iron:
Legumes: lentils, soybeans, tofu, tempeh, lima beans.
Grains: quinoa, fortified cereals, brown rice, oatmeal.
Nuts and seeds: pumpkin, squash, pine, pistacio, sunflower, cashews, unhulled sesame.
Vegetables: tomato sauce, swiss chard, collard greens

3.Your TSH levels are within range .

Hope I have been helpful and please be free for further discussion.

Follow-up: Hi, I am now 28 weeks pregnant. This is my 43 hours later
Dear doctor,

Thank you very much for your reply. I feel relieved now. And I will follow your diet recommendation.

Could you please reply on the followings:

1> I had taken seven B12 injections in the period of 20 days. And then my blood test was repeated and found high levels. Do you think my doctor gave too much in short period or this is normal? Should my doctor have done blood test more often?

2> I feel my baby's movement regularly. about two weeks ago I felt less movement and hospital put me on CTG monitoring and found ok. Since last 10 days they have done three CTG and found normal. I feel that my baby is more active two days and then third day very less active. This sequence happened two times in a row. Do I consider this pattern as my baby's normal pattern or when it moves less I should immediately go to hospital?

I sometimes use home doppler for baby's heart beat and most of the time I am able to find it ok during baby's less movement date.

Is this normal?

Kind Regards.

Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Be calm .....

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear again!
I understand you that this pregnancy is very desirable but you need to be calm .
I will try to give a proper answer to questions you have done.

1.Doctor had given the appropriate dose for your Vit B12 deficiency in pregnancy,because the dosage of vit 12 is 500-2000 mcg daily.
There is no need to do Vit B12 range more frequently.

2.If both of CTG are normal and you have a doppler for baby 's heart beats ,there is nothing to worry about .
Sometimes it moves a little more and sometimes moves more .You may also find your baby to be more active between 9:00 pm and 1:00 am, as your blood sugar level is declining.
Babies are most active after eating a meal or something sweet, drinking something very cold, or after physical activity.

HENCE BE CALM AND HAVE A GOOD MOTHERHOOD .

REGARDS