Ask a Dentist   »  

Hi I am 37 years old and being treated for

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - July 2014
July 2014
Excellent

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Question
Hi I am 37 years old and being treated for an abscessed tooth. The gum under my tongue is swollen and red, and I have a yellow bump. Is this part of the abscess or something else? I have a dentist appointment Friday morning.
Posted Fri, 1 Dec 2017 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
gum or tooth infection, abscess, medication

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query. As far as the swelling is concerned, I have the following possibilities.
it can be a gum or tooth infection that has lead to the formation of an abscess. Nothing to be panic, consult an oral physician and get it evaluated. If i am your treating doctor i would have prescribed a course of antibiotics like amoxicillin and metronidazole combination(if you are not allergic ).
I hope I have answered your query. If you have any queries reply me back. Take care.

Follow-up: Hi I am 37 years old and being treated for 38 minutes later
I am on amoxicillin for 5 days now so I shouldn't worry and everything will be alright until Friday? will they still do dental work or will they have to wait until it goes away?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go ahead with the treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply. If you have already started with a course of antibiotics, then you can get the treatment started. They dont have to wait till the swelling subsides. Once the treatment is started the swelling will come down. You can go ahead with the treatment.
I hope I have answered your query. Take care