Hi, I am 32 years old and TTC . I

Question
I am 32 years old and TTC. I just got my blood tests done which planning. My Vitamin D is 15.50 nmol/L and vitamin B 12 is 168 pg/mL rest everything seems fine. My doctor has asked me to start taking Tab.Mecobal OD once a day X 3 months Tab.DV 60 k once a week X 10 doses and folic acid.
I have recently started taking a plant based organic prenatal that contains 800 mcg of folic acid (folate). This also contains 1,000 IU of vitamin D and 30 mcg of vitamin B12 along with other things like iron etc. My question is do I still need to take the medicines my doctor has asked me to? Will the prenatal not be enough? I am not a very medicine friendly person, I have a hard time swallowing tablets... the prenatal in itself is a huge task to take plus i prefer getting my vitamins and minerals from food. Though I understand that I might not be able to get enough B12 from food since i am a vegetarian. Just wanted to understand that are my levels so low that I need to take both prenatal and the other tablets that the doctor has prescribed. Or is there is something better that I could take.
Thank you for your help
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2017 in Blood Disorders
Follow-up: Hi, I am 32 years old and TTC . I 15 minutes later
Sorry I dint mention that early sep this year I had a chemical pregnancy. It was very early, the home tests dint show a positive but I was getting some early pregnancy symptoms. Then i started bleeding and when i got myself checked the doctor said that it was a chemical pregnancy.

Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
When there is proven deficiency supplements are indicated

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question here.
You have a clear cut deficiency as indicated on the reports.
I checked the images of the supplement too. They had correctly indicated the RDV values and you can see the amount of Vit B12 is less but is good as maintainence. Your doctor's tablet as 1500mcg but this supplement has only 30 mcg, not helpful to correct deficiency. Vit B is a water soluble and would be washed off during urination.
Similarly calculate your Vit D in the supplement which is just 1000 IU, where in your case you may require close to 3000 IU per day. While Vitamin D is a sun light vitamin it can be acquired by being in direct sunlight for at least 2 hours a week. However the amount that is absorbed cannot be quantified directly. Hence it is better to take supplements.
Similarly switching to an organic prenatal diet can be helpful during maintenance phase after correcting the said deficiencies rather than replacement of supplements.

I understand that taking minimum medicines is good but not when there is proven deficiency. Once the deficiency is corrected after three months you can rely on the new diet.
So I still suggest to take the supplements prescribed by the doctor.