Ask a Urologist   »  

Hi Doctor, My mother aged 66 years has been experiencing

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Hi Doctor,
My mother aged 66 years has been experiencing recurrent UTI past one year. She has been through a course of various antibiotics after taking culture reports. SHe has had symptoms only twice- once last year May 2016 (when we began the treatment) and second this year XXXXXXX 2017. The urologist had advised a cystoscopy and intravenous administration of Piptaz. Post the procedure there was no UTI when we took 2 culture tests (one each in July & september). But in the culture test taken this month there is again ecoli present >1,00,000.
Her sugar levels are under control - fasting 97 & ppbs 115.
Why is this recurring, that too without symptoms? WE are afraid this may have some long term consequences. Please advise.
Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your mother has recurrent UTI mostly due to senile Urethral Stenosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have narrated your mother seems to have recurrent UTI due to what is called as Senile Urethral Stenosis which is common in elderly females .

In females after the menopause as the age advances there is generalized atrophy of Genito Urinary Organs that also involves urethral passage causing narrowing of urethra what is called as Urethral Stenosis .This narrowed urethra leads to incomplete emptying of bladder every time when she passes urine resulting into significant amount of urine to remain in bladder what is called as Post Void Residual Urine (PVR).This PVR is the source of urine infection .

I would suggest to consult Urologist again and discuss with him regarding Calibration (Dilatation) of Urethra which should be followed by self urethral dilatation every day for few months at home .

This will keep her urethra wide open and to empty the bladder completely and help to prevent getting recurrent UTI.

In the mean while continue taking antibiotics as per recent culture report .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.