Herpetic Disciform Keratitis, scar on cornea, poor vision, recurring condition. Permanent cure?

I had an eye infection in 2009, in left eye & at R.P Center, AIIMS it was told to me that I have got the disease called Herpetic Disciform Keratitis. After treatment of around 6 months it was cured and a scar was left on my cornea, due to which I had a little problem in clear visibility for some time in my left eye.
In 2010 it re-occured and got cured in 3 months. Now, again I have noticed the symptom of re-occurence.
Now what should I do ?
Is there any possibility to get the permanent solution for this disease?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 3 hours later

Herpetic disciform keratitis is an immune mediated disorder caused by persistence of doctor for years.

A wide range of topical medications (eye drops and eye ointments) are available. These are useful only during attacks and do not prevent recurrences.

However oral acyclovir 400mg/day given over a period of 6 months is known to stop the recurrences.
You should consult a cornea specialist and discuss this and he/she may be able to guide you better.

Hope your eye gets better soon.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further follow up queries.
Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah
Follow-up: Herpetic Disciform Keratitis, scar on cornea, poor vision, recurring condition. Permanent cure? 33 minutes later
Thanks for the reply.

I would like to know few more things about this
If if is not permanently curable then by what all I could prevent myself from the re-occurance of Herpetic disciform keratitis & what all is the reason for its occurance ?
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 31 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.

There is no scientific evidence as to what causes the recurrence.
You can use protective glasses. Any minor injury or foreign object going into the eye can sometimes cause recurrence.

I hope I have answered your query.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah