Herpes of the mouth and nose. Can a sealed moisturizer used by an infected person still have virus?

My husband has herpes of the mouth and nose. I recently used his lip moisteriser that I had in my purse for weeks. Is it possible for the virus to still be alive in a sealed vaseline lip applicator?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Herpes viruses are DNA viruses that spread through mucosal contact, body fluids, contact of skin to ulcerated mucosa. Lips are a part of mucocutaneous junction.

There is a possibility of herpes transmission if your husband has active herpetic sores and he has used it recently. Herpes virus transmission occurs in active herpetic lesions, however it can occur as asymptomatic shedding also.

There is a very small but definite risk of herpes transmission through this route.

I would suggest that you would avoid sharing lip moisturizers and other products which come in contact with mucosa and secretion.

If you have any further queries, I would be available to answer them.

Dr Sudarshan.