Herpes. Valacyclovir. Constipation. Side effect?

I am 27 years old and was diagnosed with herpes (HSV-2) a day ago. I am currently on valacyclovir to get rid of the sores. However, I am extremely constipated. I have a bowel movement once a day and that is if i'm forcing. I don't want to force because I know that will lead to hemorrhoids. Is the medicine causing my constipation or is herpes the culprate. I'm worried of taking laxatives for a long period of time because i don't know what that will do to my digestive tract. If it is the herpes causing this will the valacyclovir help or will I need to go on medication if herpes is the issue?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

I could be able to answer you better if you can provide me with some more details like :

1.How long have you been taking valacyclovir?
2.Do you take any other drugs?
3.Do you have any other symptoms?
4.What's your diet like?
5.Have you had constipation before?what;s the consistency like?