Hepitis A positive and low bilirubin. Stomach ache and fever after eating oily fish. What's wrong?

Sep 2012

Hi I have a hepitis A positive and my bilirubin level was 5.7 on 10th. After one week bilirubin level went down to 5.2 which was yesterday. I had a salmon fish yesterday in my dinner and today for Lunch. My stomech started hurting after hours and I had a chill with it. I have no gas pain right now but have fever. Is it something to worry about? My doctor did not changed my diet. Is it because I had oily fish for meal or I have bile stone. Please answer my question I would appriciate it. I had a abdominal ultrasounds on Friday 7th with blood work and my physician said its hepatitis A and said I did not have bile stone.
Posted Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 49 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, the bilirubin level of 5.2 is not okay to have oily fish. Your body cannot tolerate this right now. In hepatitis A it is common to have fever. So, it is just a part of the disease. You can take paracetamol group of drug along with pantoprazole group of drug right now to get relief from fever and stomach ache.

But this is not due to bile stone. The condition is definitely due to the fish meal.

Most importantly, be strict about the diet. It is really important. If you take oily meals more, then your recovery will be delayed.

So, consult with your treating doctor for the drugs mentioned above.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.