Hepatomegaly, bilateral symmetrical renal parenchyma enhancement, Hemangiomas. Chrons disease. Ct scan done. What is it due to?

Radiologist
Question
What is bilateral symmetrical renal parenchyma enhancement? Also, what is multiple hypoenhancing lesions with a faint halo of increased enhancement becoming isoattenuating to surrounding hepatic-parenchyma..My nephew went to the gastro. He ordered a CT scan of the abdomen. The CT's written report states hepatomegaly. The liver is 20.2 cm.Also it says: bilateral symmetrical renal parenchyma enhancement. There are multiple hypoenhancing lesions with a faint halo of increased enhancement becoming isoatteuating to surrounding heparic parenchyma. The CT also stated that he has Chron;s disease. I am worried about the hepatic lesions. Can you explain to me what is happenning?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Ranjeet Jagdale 16 hours later

I would request you to copy paste the entire report as I would like to know what are the different phases acquired in this scan before commenting further. I will explain it to you in detail once you send me the entire report.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Follow-up: Hepatomegaly, bilateral symmetrical renal parenchyma enhancement, Hemangiomas. Chrons disease. Ct scan done. What is it due to? 8 hours later
Dr. Jagdale: I uploaded two images of the report. I hope this will help you in answering my query. thanks

Answered by Dr. Ranjeet Jagdale 11 hours later

Bilateral symmetrical renal parenchyma enhancement: this is a normal finding.

Multiple hypo-enhancing lesions with a faint halo of increased enhancement becoming isoattenuating to surrounding hepatic-parenchyma: This should have been hypo-attenuating rather than hypo-enhancing and it means that lesions in the liver appear on a lighter shade of grey as compared with the surrounding normal liver. And on injection of contrast these lesions are showing enhancement which is starting from periphery and then filling the entire lesion in the subsequent images obtained.

As pointed out in the impression of the report these can be hemangiomas or hypervascular metastases.

So as advised it is better to investigate them further by an MRI.

Follow-up: Hepatomegaly, bilateral symmetrical renal parenchyma enhancement, Hemangiomas. Chrons disease. Ct scan done. What is it due to? 1 hour later
When you say hemangiomas or hypervascular metastases, do you mean cancer?

Answered by Dr. Ranjeet Jagdale 7 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
When we say hemangiomas, it means a benign ( non cancerous) tumour and one need not worry about then unless they are of big size. However, in your case these are small.
Hypervascular metastases on the other hand can be from a malignant lesion and is a reason of concern which needs further investigations. But as it is also said in the report there can be many reasons of this appearance and it is advisable to undergo further investigations.
We always correlate the findings with the clinical picture and coming to a definitive diagnosis in this setting is not recommended.
Hope this helps.