Hepatomegaly, High SGOT and SGPT. Suggest if physical activity and Udiliv is the best solution.

Hi, I'm 33yr old male, overweight (130kg). Just got some test's done

- Whole Abdomen Ultrasound - result is Hepatomegaly with GR II fatty infililtration (liver is enlarged in size 19.2 cm in long axis and shows a bright spongy echotexture)
-LFT : SGOT :47U/L and SGPT : 109
- Cholestrol 183; HDL - 34; LDL :124

I am on the following 2 tablets daily for the past couple of years ie. omeprazole for acid reflux and cetirizine for local allergy for running noze/sneezes

Spoke to my docon phone and he suggested physical activity for Cholestrol and advised UDILIV 300mg (2 times a day for 3 months), please suggest if this is the best solution or something else
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your history suggests of liver enlargement and fatty degeneration. If it is alcohol related, then clearly this need to be urgently addressed.

For a young man, you seem to have quite a few serious health issues. Where these are life-style related, obesity, fatty liver degeneration, hyperlipidemia and acid reflux, then obviously life-style changes are indicated.

To answer you specific question though: I believe your doctor is correct in not suggesting anything stronger than UDILIV for your liver pathology. With your degree of compromised liver function, the less medications you take the better.

These only put further strain on that organ. Your best way forwards is I think, not through medicines, but through life style improvements.

I hope, I have answered your query well. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Hepatomegaly, High SGOT and SGPT. Suggest if physical activity and Udiliv is the best solution. 1 hour later
Thanks Doc for the quick response. I take alcohol only 2 times a week hence I don't this will be Alcohol related, however I have totally stopped consuming alcohol

With lifestyle changes you mean more physical activity like walks and less fatty food or is there somehting more specific that i need to do or follow? If you could give some more tips it will be helpful
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 16 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

You have it in one, exactly. Walk, cycicle or swim a few miles a day. All the fruit, fish and vegetables and grown bread you want to eat. Cut out all the fast foods and junk. It is NOT a diet, its a way of life.

I hope you do well and I think you will.