Hepatitis test, positive HBcAb, negative HBsAg. What does this mean?

I am positive for HBcAb and negative for HBsAg also HBsAb level 479 IU/L . what does it mean
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 2 hours later

1. HBcAb is an antibody against co antigen of hepatitis B and is positive after an episode of infection. It is not positive after vaccination for the same.

2. HbsAg is antigen of hepatitis and is positive only during an episode of acute hepatitis infection.

3. HbsAb and HBcAb suggest a previous hepatitis infection and immunity to Hepatitis b.

So going by your reports you probably have had an episode of the infection in past and are not having an active infection in present and have developed immunity for the future.

Hope I was able to explain the reports in detail. If satisfied, please accept my answer and oblige.

Dr.Rohit Batra