Hepatitis C. Can it be transferred by sex?

Can my boyfriend give me hepatitis C while I am on my period? I do not have hepatitis C but my boyfriend does.
Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 16 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Hepatitis C is believed to be transmitted only by blood. However, unlike many other blood borne viruses (like HIV) virtually any source of blood or blood products seems to be capable of carrying the virus, even if the source is indirect - like a used razor, for example. This makes hepatitis C far more transmissible than most other blood borne viruses - including HIV.
Yes your boyfriend can give you hepatitis c during sex even in your periods.
I hope to have answered you query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck.