Hepatitis B, 100 virus/ml blood, HBVDNA PCR positive, HBeAg negative, wife infected?

I was diagnosed with Hepatitis B 10 years back and I am a carrier. My quantitative test report says I have 100 virus per ml of my blood and I am HbeAg negative. But the HBVDNA PCR is detected positive. Every 6-8 months I get LFT done which gives usually good results indicating my liver is doing good. My parents are asking me to get married but I think there might be a risk to my wife. Is it that even if she is vaccinated still there are chances of her getting the virus transmitted from me? If it is safe, will we it be a good idea to conceive at any time in future or, should I avoid getting married? Please suggest. I had consulted a very good doctor from a reputed hospital and he says that there will be no problem if my wife gets vaccinated. Is it correct?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 hours later

A complete hepatitis B vaccination constitutes 3 doses of HB vaccine taken over a period of 3 months. A complete vaccination with all the 3 doses produces significant antibodies effective (more than 95%) in preventing Hepatitis infection.

I concur with your doctor. You can get married and can get your partner vaccinated.

As far as rearing parenting a child is concerned, the risk to your child is from the mother. Presence of infection in a father least affects the child during birth. You could get your child vaccinated after birth. This should also protect your child against any likely future infections.

You could go ahead with the marriage as per the wishes of your parents.

I hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more query, I will be available to answer them as well.

Best Regards

Follow-up: Hepatitis B, 100 virus/ml blood, HBVDNA PCR positive, HBeAg negative, wife infected? 2 hours later
Thanks a lot Doctor. I have one more query. My HBGAg test report has value 1.2 and it says reactive. Along with the above mentioned values, does it mean still there is any harm? A relative of mine had consulted with a doctor and he said with this value he should not get married. The chances of transmission to my wife will be more. Is it true?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 12 hours later

Thanks for followup query.

Hepatitis G virus spread by :
1. Coming in contact with infected blood and blood transfusions( major cause of spread).
2. Mother to child transmission.
3. Through sexual contact.

Diagnosis is made by detecting the HGB-V RNA in plasma.
It is not known to cause any major disease on its own, it is usually associated with viral load. At present no medications are discovered. No vaccines are available for Hepatitis G.

Little is known about the course of hepatitis G ,suggests that illness is mild and does not last long.You have to be followed up then after analyzing your viral load then the risk can be estimated.
Only after that you can decide about marriage.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Wish you Good Health.