Hepatitis Ag test positive,chronic hepatitis B,liver panel fine

Question
i HAVE A POSITIVE HEPATITIS AG TEST RESULT AND IT HAS BEEN SHOWING POSIVE FOR THE PAST 2 YEARS WHENEVER I RUN THE TEST. dOES THAT MEN THAT I HAVE CHRONIC HEPATITIS b? i ALSO WANT TO METION THAT MY LIVER PANEL LOOKS OK.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 1 hour later
Hi Olivier,

With just HBsAg positive I cannot comment on anything. Expect that you have hepatitis. It could be Chronic Hepatitis because of HBsAg being positive for two years but without further test reports i cannot say for sure.

There are certain guidelines that has to be followed in order to diagnose and treat Chronic Hepatitis.

If HBsAg positive you have to do HBeAg test. Based on that being positive or negative you have to do ALT levels.

Depending on the ALT levels your doctor will decide whether treatment has to be started or just to monitor your ALT levels.

I suggest you to consult your doctor and ask a referral to a general physician who will advice you to get the above test done following which he may start you on treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them

Follow-up: Hepatitis Ag test positive,chronic hepatitis B,liver panel fine 17 hours later
Thanks for your answere Doctor.
I have already run my liver panel and it looks ok exept for my tbil that is a litle bit high. anyhow, i would like to know if hep b is treatable.
thanks.

Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 3 hours later
Hi Olivier,

Thanks for writing back to me.

Alfa-interferon
This is most effective in selected patients with a low viral load and serum transaminases greater than twice the upper limit of normal.

But treatment options are still limited, with no drug being able to eradicate hepatitis B infection completely.

The indication for treatment is a high viral load in the presence of active hepatitis, as demonstrated by elevated serum transaminases and/or histological evidence of inflammation which i have mentioned earlier.

Hope I have answered your query and Wish You Good Health.

If you are satisfied with my answer kindly click on the accept button below.