Hepatitis A jaundice, 1.3 after blood test. Can I have sex?

My Age is 25 male.I got HEPATITIS A jaundice 2months back and first it showed 2.1 after blood tests.After 45days It showed 1.3 after blood tests.Can i have sex now.If not after how many days can i have sex after jaundice gets cured.give suggestions
with regards,
M.Tech NIE,
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 9 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

Hepatitis A is a viral infection that is self limiting and is transmitted by feco-oral route. It is not transmitted by sexual contact.

You can catch/spread hepatitis A if:

1. You eat or drink food or water that has been contaminated by stools (feces) containing the hepatitis A virus (fruits, vegetables, shellfish, ice, and water are common sources of the hepatitis A virus).

2. You come in contact with the stool or blood of a person who currently has the disease.

3. A person with hepatitis A does not wash his or her hands properly after going to the bathroom and touches other objects or food.

The virus does not remain in the body after the infection subsides, which usually occurs within 6-12 weeks.

The tests levels that you have mentioned are probably Serum bilirubin levels and they seem to be within the normal accepted range.

Normal levels are:
Direct (also called conjugated) bilirubin: 0 to 0.3 mg/dL
Total bilirubin: 0.3 to 1.9 mg/dL

It suggests that you are already recovered from the infection and you can resume your sexual relations anytime now.

I hope this answers your question effectively.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Dr. Anvekar.
Follow-up: Hepatitis A jaundice, 1.3 after blood test. Can I have sex? 25 days later
Sir As i previously mentioned it serum bilrubin levels 1.3 when i got it tested on august 10.After 45 days that is i got it tested again on sep 25 and blood test results showed total bilrubin 2.0 mg/dl.So doctor advised to go for total abdomen scan and also urine test this time i went for gastrospecialist.

In urine test results showed bile salts:negative
bile pigments :negative

Also scan results showed

Liver:measures(13.3cms)Echogenecity is slightly increased/altered small calcific areas measuring 4to5mm are seen in Rt lobe of lever.
intrahepatic bibiary radicals/hepatic veins-normal.

gallbladder:distended wall thickness is normal No E/o calculi.
spleen:normal in size and focal lesions
pancreas:normal in size and echotexture.pancreatic duct is normal in calibre.
right kidney:normal in size and echotexture.collecting system is normal and no evidence of calculi/mass lesion.
left kidney:normal in size and echotexture.collecting system is normal and no evidence of calculi/mass lesion.
urinary bladder:distended well.wall thickness is normal.
prostate:normal in size and echo focal lesions.
aorta and IVC look normal.No evidence of lymphadenopathy/Ascites.BOTH PLUERAL SPACES ARE NORMAL.
*** Normal sonographic study of abdomen(Slightly increased/altered echotexture of liver parenchyma)
This is the scan report finally doctor told there nothing in it and from birth itself it is like that he did not suggest even any food diets and moreover said i can have anything.

please do suggest whether i can have sex my partner and are getting very upset

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 6 hours later

Hepatitis A is a self limiting disease. It doesn't cause any permanent damage to the liver. Serum bilirubin will come down to normal limits in due course of time and there is no need to worry.

It is also not necessary to keep repeating the blood tests if there is a confirmed diagnosis of Hepatitis A. There is no need for any medical treatment as well.

Sexual relationship at this juncture is permitted. There is no problem in involving in a sexual relationship. This virus does not spread to another person by sexual intercourse. And your abdominal ultra sonogram is essentially normal.

Hope this is helpful.

Follow-up: Hepatitis A jaundice, 1.3 after blood test. Can I have sex? 10 hours later
Thank you very much for the information.

Doctor suggested i can eat anything,is there any specific food items i should not take and also there is a supersititious that if have sex my partner and i both will die in case if it gets transmitted.Please give me details about anything care i have to take in sex and foodhabits
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 21 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

There are no dietary restrictions. However if you are suffering with jaundice then plain bland diet containing less spices . Consume plenty of fruits and vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Regular diet and good sleep will also help you to get over the event quickly.

As as far as sexual relationship is concerned, as I had mentioned in my previous reply, sexual transmission of Hepatitis A has not been reported yet. So it is unlikely that you will transmit the infection to your partner. Therefore no harmful effects are associated in the current circumstances.

Follow up with your primary doctor and with their advice you should be doing well.

Hope you find my answer helpful and assuring.

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Hepatitis A jaundice, 1.3 after blood test. Can I have sex? 42 hours later
Is there am specific reason that in some people serum bilrubin will be more than 1.00mg/dl.As I am having 2.00mg/dl is this effect that i still possess jaundice.but my urine and scan results showed negative as i mentioned in my previous query.please conform whether persons having total bilrubin more than 1.00mg/dl means suffering from jaundice or not?
And also i need information about participation in sex will raise bilrubin levels high and leads to liver damage?

Thanks for writing back.

There are other influences like fatty meal which can cause fluctuation in the bilirubin levels , such mild changes can be attributed to such a cause.No , I would not consider a bilirubin level of 2mg/dl could be an indicator of jaundice , it could well be a normal fluctuation.

Also participation in intercourse will not have any relation with the bilirubin levels or harm liver by any means.

Hope I cleared your doubts,

Wish you good health.