Hemorrhoids, on protein diet, used preparation h suppositories. Causes ?

My husband had severe hemroids after two days using prep h suppositories; is there anything u can prescribe? He has been on a protein diet for past week so he Thinks this is what is causing it! Can u help
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later

A Hemorrhoid is basically a small swollen blood vessel in the area of the anus. On occasion, these can be triggered by - prolonged sitting, heavy lifting and constipation. These are not XXXXXXX or life threatening.

Let me give you a few suggestions as far as what to do now. First, Sitting in warm batch in the bathtub twice daily for 20 min will help. The warm water will sooth the area and help shrink the swollen tissue.

He can continue using preparation H, as it takes around 5-7 days for the swollen tissue to subside.

In addition, I usually recommend the patients with persistent symptoms to use a suppository once or twice per month. This generally provides good results for these patients.

If all these measures do not help, then Surgery is the only option available though by correcting the lifestyle as avoiding constipation, having fibre and regular exercise many patients are relieved of symptoms.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.