Hemorrhoid starts bleeding after eating spicy food. Passing normal stool. What's going on?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Why when I eat spicy food especially curry, sometimes my hemmaroid starts to bleed? The blood is bright red and I can feel the small protrusion of hemarroid when I touch with my finger. My stool appears to be normal and not dark or black in color. Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 hours later

Thanks for writing in

Hemorrhoids and spicy meals have a strong relationship

It is presumed that because of the mucosal irritation and inflammation the hemorrhoidal tissue gets swollen

I would suggest you rather avoid Spicy, Fermented, and fried foods to avoid inflammation

Take extra fiber to prevent getting constipated and take some antiinflammatory and sitz bath to reduce inflammation

Hemorrhoidal bledding is bright red and the bleeding from upper GI Track is black

Hope this replies to your query
Wishing you a healthy life ahead