Hemoglobin level of 13.1, no menstrual bleeding. Average or low level?

Question
what does a hemoglobin level of 131 mean, and what is average and low?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Radhika 23 minutes later

You mentioned the “Hemoglobin level is 131”. I think you have mistyped it. It might be 13.1gm/dl. Please confirm.

An adult female should have between 12 to 16gm/dl hemoglobin level. Presuming the value is 13/1gm/dl, the level is in the right range.

Condition is termed “anemia” if the value is below the normal limits and when above patient is diagnosed to have “polycythemia”.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Hemoglobin level of 13.1, no menstrual bleeding. Average or low level? 5 hours later
So, if it's dropped from 15 to 13.1 over the course of a couple of months, given I have no menstrual cycle, due to emerge hyst after my daughter's birth, but I do have the gi bleed, is this something to be concerned about?

Answered by Dr. Radhika 14 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

If there was a drop of Hemoglobin level from 15 to 13.1, then it definitely needs detailed investigation and treatment. 5You also do not get menstural periods.

The causes of upper gastrointenstinal bleeding could be Peptic ulcers, Gastritis, esophageal varices and Mallory-Weiss tears.

Also the lower Gastrointenstinal bleeding could be due to Diverticulosis, Hemorrhoids and fissures etc.

Gatro intestinal bleeding needs detailed examination and treatment, as you have lost 2 gm in a couple of months. Till then, you will need to start on Iron supplements.

Do not worry as it is not life threatening one and can be treated.

Regards.