Hemoglobin level elevated. Taking testosterone shots and cymbalta. Can I have bone marrow cancer?

I had blood results am 54 my hemoglobin was 18.7 hematocrit was 55.3 and RBC 6.15 WBC was 8
have gone through alot of cancer scare last year they thought I had some type of bone marrow cancer, all results negative I do take testosterone shots and cymbalta, I feel fine but I have severe anxiety also
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will provide you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Your hemoglobin is moderately elevated. I can understand why there was some concern that you might have a bone marrow disorder in the past.

there are a few things which can sometimes raise the hemoglobin level. Smoking is one of the most common things which braces hemoglobin level. This is one consideration we can discuss in your case. If you're not a smoker the next most likely contribute in factor would be the testosterone injections. I want you to make sure that you absolutely need these injections. The only true indication for testosterone injections is if you have a documented testosterone deficiency. If this is not the case then I think you should discuss this with your endocrinologist.

In your case if you're not having symptoms of the hemoglobin level can be watched over time. I think a consultation with a hematologist would be important for you to seek. If you have not already done so I would recommend that you ask your response to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Hemoglobin level elevated. Taking testosterone shots and cymbalta. Can I have bone marrow cancer? 8 hours later
Thank you Doctor XXXXXXX would you be able to tell me any symtoms that I should look for and that's all the info I shall need and will follow your advice about the
hematologist XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 18 minutes later
The main symptoms you would want to watch out for would-be progressive headaches which are not relieved by typical over-the-counter medications.

In addition shortness of breath is also something which can sometimes develop if the hemoglobin gets much higher than it should be. Beyond that it sounds like you do not have any worrisome symptoms so I will be very surprised if anything like that developed.

Thank you again for submitting your question. Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Dr Robert