Hemoglobin count is less. Need blood transfusion?

Need to check if blood transfusion is required. My mom's haemoglobin count is 6.3
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, blood transfusion is necessary....

Detailed Answer:

At a hemoglobin level of 6.3, it is better to transfuse 1-2 units of blood preferably packed red blood cells to avoid severe anemia induced complications.

After reviewing investigation reports, besides low hemoglobin, I see she has elevated MCV, elevated TSH and elevated creatinine levels. If there was recent history of infection, elevated TSH and creatinine may be related. These tests need to be repeated after 4-6 weeks.

Since she has elevated MCV and low hemoglobin, the cause most likely could be megablastic anemia. You can order peripheral smear test along with vitamin b12 assessment to confirm this. I would also order serum ferritin levels and other iron storage markers to rule out co-existing iron deficiency. These tests can be ordered after a thorough clinical examination done at a hematologist's clinic.

In general, I do not see any alarming signs yet. Get her evaluated after she is transfused with few units of blood.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.