Ask a Urologist   »  

Hematuria, urge to urinate, history of stomach ulcers. Taking Prilosec. What are your thoughts?

My boyfriend is 32 years old, 5'10", and about 210lbs. He has a history of stomach ulcers and has been having a flare up for the last month. He has started to take prilosec and this is helping with the stomach pain. This week he has had some hematuria and has had urge to urinate but when he attempted to go he couldn't. He thinks the blood is just from the ulcers but I think he should see a Dr. His Dad has just found out he has a mass in in bladder. I am worried what are your thoughts. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

Your boyfriend has a history of stomach ulcers for which he is taking Prilosec. Now he is having hematuria.

Normally Stomach ulcers do not cause Hematuria. Gastric ulcers cause damage to the lining of the stomach and can cause erosion of the lining. When small blood vessels in the stomach lining are affected, they begin to bleed. These blood cells are carried throughout the intestinal tract and leave the body in the form of stool. So they cannot be passed as blood in urine.

Hematuria, or blood in the urine, can be caused by irritation of a urinary tract or infection due to inflammation of the urethra, bladder lining, ureters and renal structures.

Other conditions where you can see blood in urine will be:
1. Kidney stones.
2. Injury to the upper or lower urinary tract, as in a accident or a bad fall (especially falls onto your back).
3. Medications like antibiotics, quinine, phenytoin.
4. Chronic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, and sickle cell anemia.
5. Viral infections, tumors.
6. Strenuous exercise, especially running.

Sometimes even certain foods like beets, berries, and rhubarb in large amounts, or Food coloring will cause this.

There is no need to be panic, the mass found in his fathers bladder might not be cancerous, even if it is, there is no reason that even he will get it.
If hematuria continues and is associated with any pain in the abdomen which difficulty to pass urine or increased frequency, then he will need to get examined by a Urologist and get an Urine analysis and Ultrasound abdomen done.

Till then he needs to drink sufficient fluids, avoid spicy food, reduce alcohol and smoking. Certain medications like NSAIDS (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) should be avoided. Also he should learn meditation to avoid stress.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.