Ask a Urologist   »  

Help me understand my semen analysis report

Jul 2016

having a hard time understanding semen analysis....semen color white, consistency non viscous, semen volume 5.0, count unable to perform accurate count, motilty unable to perform, wbcs 1 million, semen ph 8.0, semen morphology unable to perform other info strict morphology has been correlated to be prognostic vale for fertilization in vitro 8 immature sperm/hpf 13 sperm observed/hpf rare motile sperm seen Optional Information: Person's Gender: Male Person's Age: 31 What have you tried so far?: semen anaylsis for infertility
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: You have Terratozoospermia. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts and report of your semen analysis that you have posted it appears that you have what is called as Teratozoospermia meaning there by that your semen contains more than 90% of abnormal sperms with abnormality in anatomy.(Head ,body and tail of sperms) In normal semen motility of the sperms is graded as per the movements of the sperms whether sperm moves in forward direction like rocket (Grade A) or in a zigzag manner (Grade B) or non motile (Grade C).As only Grade A sperms are capable of fertilization of female egg the count of grade A sperm is most important from the point of view to effective pregnancy. As per WHO standards the normal sperm count should be 60 to 80 millions and accepted count of grade A sperm should be minimum 15%. In your case both these criteria are not fulfilled and sperms with abnormal pathology and motility may be very high making it impossible to count normal motile sperm . The presence of 1 million WBC suggests severe infection of either seminal vesicle or Prostate.which can be cured by taking broad spectrum antibiotics for a period of 4-6 weeks. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.