Hello, about 5 weeks ago I woke to swelling and

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hello, about 5 weeks ago I woke to swelling and stiffness in the knuckle on my right index finger. It p progressed to redness and swelling in most of my hand. Went to walk in clinic twice with different diagnosis. First time, given streoid creme, no results. Second visit they took blood, exrays and said i had an infection. Given shot in thing and proscribed climdamycin hcl. no results. All symptoms continued and my regular MD told me to go to emergency room because it was a weekend. More x rays and bloodwork. Doctor said I did not have an infection and put me on a strong steroid. Symptoms improved for a few days. Now I have all symptoms back with burning sensation and two small but very sore blisters have appeared on pinky fever. Suggestions?
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be infection or tendonitis.

Detailed Answer:
The swelling of the knuckle that is persistent for 5 weeks can be due to tendonitis or arthritis. Oral steroids and anti inflammatory pain killers can help in reducing the swelling. Xray and blood test can help in ruling out any infection in the area. Doing a hot fomentation can help in reducing the swelling and pain to some extent.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal