Hello Specialist! my 28th day 4th gen finger prick test

Excellent

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
Hello Specialist! my 28th day 4th gen finger prick test came back negative!

A few questions, do i now have to retest for confirmation? As always, im worried about the what ifs
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2017 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is a good news.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you writing in healthcare magic.

Having a negative result of 4 th generation HIV test 28 days after exposure is very accurate.This is a good news .
But, according the recommendation you should do a 4 th generation test after 3 months as a conclusive test.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Follow-up: Hello Specialist! my 28th day 4th gen finger prick test 8 hours later
Hmm. So i still dont understand. Does this mean that i could still be infected? My test yesterday is not conclusive and that i need to wait for 3 months to confirm?

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
It depends on the immunity of the persons.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry for my late response.

This is because the window period lasts for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure, it depends on the immunity of the persons.
Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results according the guidelines.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.

Follow-up: Hello Specialist! my 28th day 4th gen finger prick test 16 minutes later
Sorry for the repeated queations. As per my previous exposure, the contact of the 2 small cuts on my shin area while the worker was in her underwear. (mostly afraid of vaginal fluids getting into the cut)

How would you quantify the risk? and will retesting for my case be necessary?

*i apologize for bugging you everytime doctor, just doing my best to move on from this nightmare

Brief Answer:
There is a little to no risk to get HIV.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry for my late response.

Based on your history, contact of small cuts in your shin with just her underwear you shouldn't worry because there exists a little to almost no risk to get HIV infection.

So, based on this situation, I think that it is not necessary to do other HIV tests.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.