Hello Rangith, I am Rangith age 28. Today morning during

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hello Rangith,

I am Rangith age 28. Today morning during peeing i found my stool in green colour.

Currently i am taking medication for cold and cough .The green mucus ejaculated from chest now and there. The medication i am currently taking inculdes

1) Clarinase 2 times( Morning and night)
2) Rapidus 50 mg 2 times( Morning and night)
3) Sinecod syrup 15 ml( 3 times a day)

can you pls advice me for the reason of the green stool?

2
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Improper breaking of bile.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your query and i appreciate your concerns.

See my dear patient color of stool is decided by a bile.Bile is produced by liver and contains green pigment called bilirubin. As food is digested in alimentary canal bile is broken down into stercobilinogen. This stercobilinogen is responsible to give brown color to feces.
Now as you are on different medications for cough cold and coryza there is possibility that these salts may affecting the rate of peristalsis in intestines.As food mixed with bile passes fast from intestines there are chances that bile is not broken down properly into stercobilinogen hence stools are green in color.
For e.g Pseudoephedrine in clarinase increases the rate of peristalysis.
As of now please don't worry this would settle down once you would stop medications after 4-5 days.

Follow-up: Hello Rangith, I am Rangith age 28. Today morning during 56 minutes later
Dear Doctor

Thanks for your reply.

As stated this green colour in stool is due to the medication.

Is it advicable to stop the medication or to continue the same.
My current medication will have any other side effects.Since I am having some constant mild pain below my stomach( Right side only) near to the hip area

Pls advice me

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
You should continue taking medications as adviced.
Once your couse is over stools will return back to normal in a day or so.

Thanks!