Hello, I'm a 22 year old female, 5'5, 150 lbs.

Question

I'm a 22 year old female, 5'5, 150 lbs. For about a week, I have had sinus drainage and coughed up phlegm that has a taste similar to hydrogen peroxide. Does this sound like a typical cold or something more serious?

Thank you
Posted Sat, 25 Nov 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

It would be hard to make any diagnosis based the taste of the mucus. What we do look at is the duration of symptoms and their severity. This would include if there has been fever, chills, shortness of breath, and if the mucus is discolored throughout the day (it's normal for mucus to be discolored when you get up). Also, if there are any underlying risk factors for a more severe illness such as pneumonia. This would include asthma, tobacco use, or immune suppression such as people going through chemo.

So this unusual taste doesn't tell us much - sorry. It may be a result of some bacteria in the drainage (although if you are otherwise healthy,your body will take care of that), white blood cells, or from the OTC cold meds you are taking.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Follow-up: Hello, I'm a 22 year old female, 5'5, 150 lbs. 10 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.

For the most part, the color has been white/yellow. I do not smoke cigarettes but I do vape, which is the act of inhaling vapor produced by a vaporizer or electronic cigarette. I live in XXXXXXX and just helped clean and renovated the office I work at due to the aftermath of hurricane XXXXXXX The only symptons I can recall have been stuffy noise, coughing and my ears occasionally pop.

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
This sounds like it is likely a cold (upper respiratory viral infection).

Vaped tobacco does not appear to be as immunologically impairing as smoking tobacco in cigarettes, but the jury is still out on what effects it may have as it's a fairly new thing, as you know, so there aren't long term research studies on it yet.

The one concern here is that of cleaning in a place that was affected by the hurricane. If there was visible black mold, then that can cause allergic and other hypersensitivity respiratory reactions - particularly coughing. This is mostly a concern if a lot of time was spent in that environment especially if a person lives in that environment or works in it daily.

Otherwise, I'd assume it is a cold and you will likely get over it in the next week.

Follow-up: Hello, I'm a 22 year old female, 5'5, 150 lbs. 3 minutes later
Thank you for your time Dr. Berger-Durnbaugh! Have a great evening.

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome

Detailed Answer:
Your welcome, and I hope you are feeling better soon. Also that you all are recovering from Hurricane XXXXXXX

Best regards,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD