Hello! I'm 32 and I recently suffered from a flu/cold

Nov 2013

Hello! I'm 32 and I recently suffered from a flu/cold like illness from december (2012) to february (2013). I felt fever-ish a couple of times (lasting a few days) throughout this period. The anti-biotics I took didn't seem to have any effect. A few days after recovering from this illness in february, my left leg felt slightly weak one day while walking, followed a few days later by my right. I felt acute muscle soreness in my neck and lower back. Muscles began to twitch (very gently) over my entire body, and any physical exertion left me feeling extremely fatigued. And all of my bones began to "pop" all of a sudden (though with no pain). At present, I still suffer from profound exhaustion at all times with the added symptom of sitting-induced nerve (?) pain: each time I sit in a straight-backed chair, my throat begins to feel tight, a very strong, dull discomfort/pain creeps over my forehead and then to the rest of the head, my facial muscles go tight, the tip of my tongue feels tingly, a strong dizziness sets in, and I feel as if I'm going to be nauseous (it never comes though). When I experience these symptoms, I have to lie down immediately. My entire body feels weak afterwards and muscle pain in the neck and lower back comes within a few hours as well as more muscle twitching and slightly neuropathy in both or either of my pinky fingers. The MRI of my brain was completely normal. My spine reveals a very, very slight hydromyelia from c4-6 and t8-11 (my neurologist doesn't think this is the cause of my other symptoms). My blood work all comes back normal except for a slight vitamain D deficiency. Inflammation blood levels (crp) are normal (I take seven cloves of raw garlic, an anti-inflammatory, per day). The infectious disease doctor has run a battery of blood tests including HIV, lyme disease, fungal panels, and EBV and everything is normal, This inability to sit and extreme fatigue seems to be turning chronic! Could this be the work of a hidden virus, infection? Hydromyelia? Help! XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.
I appreciate the detailed description you have provided, it helps.
I can understand the discomfort you are facing on account of your symptoms.
Based on your description, the most likely cause of your symptoms are chronic fatigue syndrome.
In both these conditions, similar symptoms may occur.
Treatment is largely symptomatic and supportive. Adequate rest and graded physiotherapy are helpful.
Medications such as gabapentin or pregabalin capsules help in reducing the nerve pain.
I agree with your neurologist that hydromyelia can not explain all your symptoms.
There is no need to worry, as you would get better in a few months.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad