Hello, I have a kinda hard, kinda soft lump up

I have a kinda hard, kinda soft lump up behind my ear close into the hair line. I have had it for about 1 year now that I can remember. I think it is very slowly getting bigger. It is not painful at all. I used to get them all the time then they would go away. Especially when getting sick. They would never get as big as this one though. This lump may actually be a little bit higher than what the others used to be. Not dead sure though. Is there reason for concern?. If not can I just prick it with a needle?

I am also having hair fall. Every time I come my hair about 12 strands go or more. I just put that down to stress. I am currently taking loads of B's and other vites like evening primrose etc. Nothing seems to stop the hair fall.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 9 hours later

Thanks for posting your query and the pictures. I have taken a good look at them.

It seems like a benign cyst - a lipoma probably. I understand that it is not painful, however, is it soft in consistency? I mean to say, when you touch it how does it feel? Is it soft, firm or hard?

To me, it seems like a simple cyst or a lipoma that could be excised by a skilled surgeon.

Please do not prick it with a needle. That would be harmful and create more problems.

You must consult a general surgeon to get it excised under antibiotic coverage.

Regarding your hair fall, it is still all right to lose 12 strands. I am glad that you are using the multivitamins. Continue to use them.

Work on your diet - consume more of green leafy vegetables and fruits. Also, condition your hair weekly with good oil.

I hope this helps you. Let me know if I could help you further.

Follow-up: Hello, I have a kinda hard, kinda soft lump up 7 hours later
It is fairly soft, but it does not sink in at all.
Thank you very much for your help it certainly does help. I will try the oil conditioning. for my hair. It has gotten pretty thin.

Thanks again! Very helpful
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 15 hours later
Thank you too.

I hope you get well soon.

Take care!