Hello Doctor, My son is 2.5 years old and is

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hello Doctor,

My son is 2.5 years old and is suffering from acute constipation since last 1.5 years. Our pediatrician recommended EVAQ syrup (5 ml) twice a day and Falaxee syrup (5 ml) once a day. This was a year and a half back. Initially these syrups did help. However later his body got immune to them and he was unable to pass motion for days. In the month of Feb, we decided to change to homeopathy from allopathy. We tried homeopathy for 7 months. However there was no improvement in his condition. Now we are using a US powder of culturelle kids (daily probiotic formula) since one month but there is absolutely no improvement. Every 3-4 days, we are giving him suppository (Neotonic Enema) for him to pass motion. I am very much worried for my son and would need some solution/guidance from you on how should we treat his acute constipation issue.

Thanks & Regards,
Sumita Jagtiani 0000
Posted Mon, 4 Dec 2017 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try toilet training , less milk, more fiber

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Constipation is very common in this age in kids .
There are few medical causes like anemia, low thyroid, intestinal problems which can cause constipation. I would suggest you
1 . Try ruling out medical causes by getting ultrasound abdomen, hemoglibin and thyroid profile.
If all are normal follow these tips
1. Try increasing fiber ( fruits and vegetables ) 2 cups each daily.
2. Water atleast 4 glasses a day.
3. Try making him sit in toilet seat for 15 minutes twice daily at fixed times say 7 am and 7 pm. Let him try himself. Toilet training takes time.
4. I also prescribe polyethylene glycol daily for 1 month at night . Consult your pediatrician for prescription as it is a prescription only medicine given as one XXXXXXX daily in night.
Wishing good health
Dr Arun