Hello Doctor, I am born with a congenital heart defect

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Hello Doctor,

I am born with a congenital heart defect called single ventricle and had PAB surgery at the age of 3 and I did not require any follow up surgery because I was doing well. I am 26 now and perfectly normal. I have my regular follow ups with my cardiologist and he assured that I will have a normal life and no symptoms will bother me until the age of 50 or more.
I have a girlfriend who knows my condition and still accepts me for what I am. We are living a very happy life and decided to get married. However, her mother is very superstitious and has a blind belief in astrology. As per astrology she is now carrying a doubt that I may die or may get divorced if we get married.
Though I am mentally strong enough to not to believe these things, but when I repeatedly hear the same thing, it is definitely hurting me emotionally and leading me to health anxiety and overthinking.
I have tried all possible ways to keep myself mentally strong from past 6 months like meditation/yoga, exercise, eating healthy foods, avoiding junk foods, always being with family or friends. but I think I do need help of an expert/guide to help myself get out of these thoughts.
Can you please suggest me some anti anxiety tablets that I can take which will not have any reactions with my current medications (Listril 5mg, Folivite 5mg.) and which doesn't have any side effects.

Awaiting your response.

Thank you
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2017 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I think you need support and not the medications

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I feel that you are dealing with a person who have overwhelming belief in astrology and feeling an unwanted pressure to accept a fact which is not true. Astrology may have some merits but it is largely based on random estimates which are seldom true. On the other side science talks about facts and there are rarely wrong. So before thinking about medication it will be appropriate to balance science with astrology. I mean to say that your doctor is assuring you based on the scientific facts and your to be mother in law putting the random estimates which have little merit if any.

Secondly medication, irrespective of the dose and nature have some side effects and it will be appropriate to avoid them unless it is absolutely necessary. I do not think any body can recommend a medication for anxiety when there is no anxiety disorder. Some form of anxiety is completely normal for all of us and it does not mean that it requires medication.

Thirdly I feel you need support which is available from the other family members and your self confidence. This is time to nourish the relationship and confidence and I am quite hopeful that your effort will put you away from all negative types of energy including anxiety.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.