Held my breath to open my ears, loud whistle. Now pus oozing. Is this fixable?

ENT Specialist
i held my breath to open my ears( pop) and a whitsle loud sound came out. Now their is liquid puss, Is this fixable? or will this problem stay
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 38 minutes later

Thanks for the query

The whistling sound following popping of the ear associated with discharge could be due to damage to the ear drum (tympanic membrane).

Occasionally when an individual tries to clear the nose or equalize the pressure forcibly, there is gush of air through the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear). Following this event, there is increased pressure developed in the middle ear leading to breakage of the ear drum. Breakage of the ear drum is associated with bloody discharge from ear, reduced hearing and noise in the ear.

Do not worry! This perforation usually seals off within a couple of days unless intervened by infection of the middle ear.

First of all, get your ears checked by your doctor to confirm the perforation. Avoid water into the ear, as this may flare up the middle ear infection and worsen your problems. In case you are suffering from flu or nasal stuffiness do steam inhalation 3-4 times/day and use saline nasal spray.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon