Heel bone fractured, fibula cracked. Should I get the cast re-fixed?

Hi On XXXXXXX 10th I slipped down 4-5 steps in my home and went to the ER and discovered that my heel bone is fractured and my fibula is also cracked, but they assured me that no surgery was required, now when I went for my follow-up app't they said 3 more weeks and not to put weight on the foot, they didn;t change my cast and my cast is like swimming on my leg since my swollening has gone down, should I go back to the er and see if they replace my current cast to a more fitting cast or just wait for my next app't in July.
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later

You are right in thinking that you may need a new cast.

Specially in fractures of weight bearing structures the cast should not be ill-fitting.Ill fitting casts can lead to malunion in the such fractures.

Well , all fractures of the ankle do not need surgery, some are easily treated with immobilization.

Do attend the ER back and get the cast replaced.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Heel bone fractured, fibula cracked. Should I get the cast re-fixed? 32 hours later
Thank you for your responses, I will definely go to the ER and have it change. I hope they comply, Would it be wise to go to another hospital (one I'm more familiar with ) I have never been to this hospital, would my familiar hospital be willing to check what the other hospital did. Well Thank you you been exteremly helpful.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, you can visit another hospital for the same , provided if you have xray or other related reports with you.

Wish you good health.