Heavy periods, smelly gas expelling from vagina, fibroid tumor in vagina. US showed uterine tumor. How do I know it is only fibroids?

I have been having several symptoms. I've had very heavy periods for quite some time. About 7 months ago i started having gas expelled from my vagina. This has worsened quite a lot, and now happens several times a day. It does have a smell also. I figure there has to be a fistula or tear in there somewhere, either from my colon or recum....The other day I started bleeding quite a lot. Went to the ER and they found a good sized fibroid tumor in my vagina. A pelvic ultrasound also showed several more tumors in my uterus. I am also having major swelling and bloating in my stomach/abdomen area...i almost look pregnant. I am going to obgyn monday morning...but i am scared. How do they KNOW it's only Fibrods?? The tumor in my vagina has gotten quite large, and it is painful to have sex I don't. I'm just ondering how they are so sure it is fibroids, and not cancerous. I seem to have a lot of the same symptoms...why do they assume it's not? Also I do work but can't afford health insurance, so I haven't been to the doctor or had a checkup in many years. The last pap smear I had was over a decade ago, and it was a class three. They had to remove my cervix in an outpatient precedure. I know I should have been going for checkups, but haven't. Is there a way to tell if this may be cancer?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 hours later
First,you should know that fibroids have a distinct diagnostic feature on ultrasound.Almost all fibroids are diagnosed by ultrasound these days and are more or less accurate.However,its also important to know that ultrasound diagnosis isnt confirmatory unless it has been confirmed by histopathology.That can happen only after surgery. The symptoms that you have like bleeding,bloating etc all can be related to the fibroid.You havent mentioned anything about the ovaries in your ultrasound since ovarian cysts also have similar clinical findings.Both can co exist also.You have mentioned that you had your cervix removed?That is usually a major operation and requires admission.Is is possible that you had a colposcopy? You should have had regular pap smears and pelvic examinations in such cases. Right now,i think that an thorough examination is very much needed.You should have another pap smear.If required,a ct scan abdomen.Along with that some blood tests are needed along with the cancer markers.
Ultimately it is very possible that you may need surgery.

Do go and see your obgyn and get examined.You will get a better idea of the situation after that.
Follow-up: Heavy periods, smelly gas expelling from vagina, fibroid tumor in vagina. US showed uterine tumor. How do I know it is only fibroids? 6 hours later
Ok Thanks. I think I did have a colposcopy. (couldn't remember the name of procedure) He just numbed the area and removed tissue for testing. What about the gas being expelled from the wrong place? It is very embarrasing and often hard to control. I think that symptom is what is worrying me the most, along with the fibroids. The ER doctor looked doubtful when I mentioned that, and then I read online on certain blogs that some doctors do wonder if the woman is confused about that. Believe me, there is no doubt that it is coming from the vagina, and it does have an odor. And it is happening with more and more frequency. I am usally cronically constipapted and have been most of my far nothing else has escaped the wrong area, except for the bleeding and some discharge at times. There has to be an opening in there somewhere. I was just wondering if multiple fibroids could also cause that, or if you have ever heard of that. Thanks for your help. :)
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 minutes later
Well,colposcopy is the name of the procedure you have mentioned.About the gas,normally that isnt something that can occur.Fistulas can only occur if you have had surgery in that area before.The possibility of infection stands though,if you have foul odor. Sometimes constipation can make you feel that passage of gas is occring from the wrong place. Fibroids shouldnt cause that symptom.
Examination is all the more necessary.

Follow-up: Heavy periods, smelly gas expelling from vagina, fibroid tumor in vagina. US showed uterine tumor. How do I know it is only fibroids? 4 hours later
Going tomorrow. But the gas really is coming out vagina.... i feel like no one believes me. Most of the time when i pass gas, it comes out both..i really have no doubt it is being expelled from the vagina. That, along with the fibroid issue was what is scare me the most. I found this site, that women have posted about
the vaginal gas...and a good many have not had surgery.

WWW.WWWW.WW I did have two 9 lbs children...but that was 20 yrs ago. Since he said my uterus is enlarged..I thought maybe the fibroids and vaginal gas are related. Maybe not...but one thing is for sure.... i would stake my life with no hestitation that the gas is being expelled from my vagina, and more and more often. I'll tell the dr that tomorrow...halfway expecting a sceptial look...but it's true.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 minutes later
Well,only an examination can reveal if there is any fistula. But rest assured that the gas and fibroids arent related.
Please do tell the doctor your symptoms in detail,however insignificant they might be.