Heavy painful ankles in the morning. Is it a symptom of any disease?

My legs (ankles downwards) feel heavy in the morning...what could it be - This has been there for long time. Everytime I wake up in the morning, my ankles downwards feels heavy, twonky. Not that it affects me in any way but is this some symptom for anything??
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later

As I understand, you are 31 years of age with high cholesterol complaining of heaviness around and below ankles.

Please let me know if you are overweight?
Also is there any swelling?
Have you had your serum B-12 levels done?

A feeling of heaviness around the ankles may be a sign of fluid accumulation that may be due to varicose veins or any other venous blood flow disturbances. Additionally it may be due to deficiency of vitamin B-12, calcium or vitamin-E.

I would suggest you take over the counter multivitamin supplement containing -1500 micrograms of vitamin-B-12, 400 units of vitamin-E and 500 milligrams of calcium for a week.

Please answer my queries so that I can try to help you further.

Follow-up: Heavy painful ankles in the morning. Is it a symptom of any disease? 2 hours later
Hi doctor,

Here are the answers
My hieght is 175 cms and weight is 81 kgs. So I think I maybe a few kgs more than required.
Also is there any swelling?
I havent noticed any swelling
No, hearing it for the first time

Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 21 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Since you are about 7 kg overweight, it is possible you have a thyroid deficiency that can lead to a feeling of heaviness below ankles and wrists due to slight fluid accumalation with a constricting effect of a band at the wrist and ankle.

So please try the vitamin supplements I have suggested for a week and and if there is no relief, see your doctor for a thyroid test.

Hope this adequately answers your query. Please do get back to me if you need any further clarifications.

Wish you good health.