Heavy legs, breathlessness after exertion, thirsty. Have type 2 diabetes. Taking Catapres, have IUD fitted

I am a menopausal female, 56 years old, am experiencing heavy legs, breathlessness after slightest exercise, very very thirsty. I am diabetic type 2 but these symptoms have just suddenly cropped up. I take catapres and have an iud fitted.
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 51 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.
Your symptoms of being very very thirsty point towards uncontrolled diabetes.
Are you taking any medicines for diabetes? If yes, please consult your physician and get blood sugars tested. If raised blood sugars are there, you need to add up or change medicine for diabetes.

How long you have been taking catapress?
Being breathless on slight exercise, thirsty feeling, obesity all belong to side effects of catapress also.
Catapress is not supposed to be used in patients who are at risk of coronary artery disease. You have risk factors for same [Diabetes+ obesity+ high cholesterol+hypertension].

I would recommend you to consult physician and get catepress changed to heart healthy medicine like atenolol.
Keep watch on coronary artery disease by doing treadmill exercise stress test.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.