Heavy head, muscle pain in leg. Sleeping less, stressful. Something wrong or just exhausted?

Two nights ago i only had 2.5 hrs of sleep and then woke up to deal with a stressful situation involving my manager shouting at me down the phone, the next night i had 4.5 hours of i have been feeling really strange and have had this heavy feeling in my body all day and what feels like a heavy head, it also feels like im moving slightly when i sit still.
I have also been having alot of leg muscle pain in my calf through to my thighs the past couple of nights, the doctor told me to go to the hosital to rule out anything (such as DVT) but everything was normal.
Is their somethig wrong with me or am i jus still exhausted? i hate this heavy feeling in my body can someone please advise me?
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 22 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I really think that a lot of your symptoms are genuinely related to exhaustion. You have really been pushing your body to the limits with asleep. Your body generally needs at least seven or eight hours of sleep even during normal times without stress. In your case you also have the added problem of additional stress which places even more demands on your body and the need for sleep increases.

The best way to address this would be for you to somehow obtain adequate sleep. Your body now has a sleep deficit so you might even need to sleep eight or nine hours per night for a few nights before you can actually get back to normal. I think it is unlikely that you have a blood clot and your leg but it is reasonable to get this ruled out.

Thanks again for submitting your question. I hope I have provided you with some helpful information. If you have additional concerns please let me know.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Heavy head, muscle pain in leg. Sleeping less, stressful. Something wrong or just exhausted? 9 minutes later
jus one more quick thing...cant his exhaustion cause 'twitching of the muscle in the calf and thighs'? because i get that alot and its so annoying and weird.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello again.

Exhaustion can absolutely cost twitching of muscles. This is very common in muscles around the eyes. It can also conceivably caused some spasms and twitching of muscles of the legs as well. Remember your body needs an adequate amount of sleep and rest. If your muscles are activated constantly from stress and not sleeping this causes a general degree of fatigue. The twitching can be a manifestation of this.

One thing I have not mentioned before is that I would really recommend that you focus on maintaining a very healthy and well balanced diet in addition to trying to exercise at least a few times per week. The exercise will help to improve some of the stress that you have been dealing with. I know things seem very stressful now but I am willing to bet that at some point within the next few months you were going to feel much much better.

Part of feeling better involves understanding your symptoms now. I hope I have provided you with that ability. If you have any additional concerns please let me know.

Dr. Robert