Heavy feeling, epilepsy, carbamazepine, high activity in EEG, high theta and delta wave in forehead, sinus problems, high LDL

XXXXXXX 31,male, I have had heavy feeling since 10 years ago. I used epilepsy drugs(carbamazepin) for 3 years because I had high activity in EEG. effects got reduced, but did not go away. I lost my ability to concentrate and process thoughts. went to neuro feedback, high theta and XXXXXXX wave in forehead, got better . but I didn't get my thinking back. I feel like I am using my energy just to focus, otherwise my lack of concentration would derive my insane. there is always pressure behind my eyes and now I feel pressure in my ears too.I have sinus problem and I operated on my sinuses to be able to breathe through the nose. but I've got mucus all the time. in my latest blood test I had somehow high LDL (130 something) . please advice
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. A.S. Keerthi 16 hours later

You probably have complex /simple partial seizures ( symptom description is not very clear) for which you were prescribed carbamazepine(CBZ). In some persons it can cause cognitive dysfunction. The medication can be changed if you are not tolerating CBZ.

Your high LDL levels and sinus problem are not related to seizures or CBZ. It would have been better if EEG and SCAN films are available. Review with your neurologist regarding change in medication, duration of treatment and also have an ENT consultation.

Do forward me if you have any test reports pertaining to your problem.Mail them to YYYY@YYYY with sub : Attn Dr A S Keerthi

Thanks & Regards,
Follow-up: Heavy feeling, epilepsy, carbamazepine, high activity in EEG, high theta and delta wave in forehead, sinus problems, high LDL 6 hours later
I diagnosed with epilepsy 10 years ago which I started taking the drugs at same time. I stopped taking the CBZ after 3 years ( 7 years ago) . at that time , I remember that I poured cold water on the lower back of my head and I had clearance in my thinking for a while.
I went to neurofeedback 5 years ago for 35 sessions which I learned how to control the brain waves.
I have diagnosed with ADD from one doctor, so I used ritalin and it gave me very short burst of happiness and then big wave of depression, the doctor told me I have mania, I used lithium and it didn't do anything .
right now I am not taking any drugs or consulting with anybody. my symptoms are filling heavy on my forehead and ears, feeling pressure on my eyes which alleviates when I close the eyes.
it's like I am seeing outside but there is no thinking behind it, can not learn anything new, but not big problems with doing the things that I already know.
very bad short term memory, and generally losing focus

it is at low when I wake up and increases when I start a day, actually after breakfast. I feel worst after lunch. I feel dizzy and I can't think.

unfortunately, I do not have my old documents or results anymore.

Best Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. A.S. Keerthi 17 hours later

Thanks again.

As you have stopped Carbamazepine 7 years ago, your memory disturbances cannot be related to it.

The described symptoms does not seem neurological to me. But I still encourage you to consult a neurologist. A physical examination can throw more light on a possible cause. If no abnormality is detected then you need to consult a psychiatrist.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Wish you good health.