Heavy drinker. Sonography showed fatty liver. Blood test done. Looking for suggestion

General Surgeon
Question
I am a 46 year old man. I was a moderately heavy drinker ( 2 drinks every day). During a routine blood test I was found to have a SGPT of 107 U/L, my Serum triglycerides are 310 mg/dl. A sonography test also confirmed a fatty liver . I was informed by the docter that it was caused by alchohol abuse. And I am supposed to quit totally for 6 months All other reports are normal.
i have been taking rosuvas 10 ( Rosuvastatin) tablets since the past 3 months.
I have started to exercise by jogging for 5 kms every day
Recently, a test has shown my SGPT level to be 63 U / L. & serum triglycerides at 155 mg / dl
Can I start to drink 1-2 drinks twice a week.
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your recent liver tests are lower because the liver cells regeneration time is about 3 months. But this does not mean that you have no fatty liver anymore. This tests only show that you have eliminated a factor of liver cells destruction. But it is going to take much longer for the fatty liver to get rid of this extra fat. So if you do start drink again regularly, you will start this process again. 2 drinks twice a week might be too much for your liver. I suggest you to continue abstinence so your liver can get better.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Heavy drinker. Sonography showed fatty liver. Blood test done. Looking for suggestion 21 minutes later
OK. Thanks doctor.
1. I wanted to know if 2 drinks twice a week is not permisible, then what should be my alchohol intake ( stupid of me, but i cant resist),

2. How long will it take for my liver to return to normal ?

3. How long do I have to take the tab. Rosuvastatin 10 ?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 26 minutes later
Hello!

1. 2 drinks twice a week sounds little too much. I suggest you to have 1-2 drinks a week.
2. It can take a year or so depending of your diet and alcohol intake.
3. Rosuvastatin can be taken from few years to the rest of the life depending of the diet and metabolism response for this medicine.

Regards.

Follow-up: Heavy drinker. Sonography showed fatty liver. Blood test done. Looking for suggestion 25 minutes later
Thanks.
a couple of more things.
1. What did you mean by " This tests only show that you have eliminated a factor of liver cells destruction"

2. I was also diagnized with a large stone in gall bladder. I was told that since it is large and there was no problem and no pain, I should not do anything with it.

3. As i have told you, I have quit alchohol. ( apart from 1-2 drinks, once a week ) But if in some party if I drink something like 4 drinks, will my lever get damaged ? ( this might happen once in 30-40 days )

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

1. I mean that elevated liver enzymes are because of recent liver cells destruction (by alcohol in your case). Fatty liver does not give any enzymes elevation. So eliminating this factor, you make liver cells destruction to stop. But you do not suddenly make fatty liver to improve. It takes time for metabolic processes to slowly remove the fat from the liver.
2. If it is about gall stone, sooner or later it will give symptoms. It can stuck in the gallbladder and obstruct bile flow from gall bladder. You need to answer a question what do you prefer - wait for the symptoms or have it removed when there is no symptoms and there is no need for urgent surgery. You can have it planned. Planned surgery is always much better than urgent and gives much less complications. Moreover, you will have to live with this stone for many many years if you wont remove it. And longer it stays there, more probable the obstruction is.
3. Occasional alcohol intake wont make any difference for your liver.

Hope this will help.
Regards.