Heavy bleeding during pregnancy, had early spotting. MRI scheduled. Could be miscarriage?

My daughter is about 6 weeks pregnant but has been losing blood quite heavily but has had no pain. She "spotted" early in her first pregnancy and I also lost a lot of blood early in my own pregnancies. She is booked in on thursday for an MRI scan via the vagina to check if the baby is OK. I am concerned about this as I believe it could cause a miscarriage and am inclined to suggest to her that she "waits and sees".
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 1 hour later

Thank you for posting in your query

I understand your anxiety about your daughter's condition. In such a situation, I would advise my patients to go to a casualty/emergency room where they can be evaluated as soon as possible.

I would like to know exactly how much blood is she loosing? May be in terms of number of pads/tampons

I would recommend the scheduled scan as it would help us to know the reason for this heavy loss of blood

I do not think you should be worried that the procedure might cause miscarriage. If done correctly it is a safe procedure

The decision to get it done definitely rests on you and your daughter but you need to weigh the benefits of knowing the cause of her bleeding before saying no to the test

I wish your daughter the best of her health and a happy pregnancy

Dr Gowri