Heavy bleeding. Retroverted bulky uterus, change of adenomyosis. Prescribed with Fortab tranex and Livogen. Side effects?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
DURING MENSURATION THERE IS HEAVY FLOW IN JULY 2011 , CONSULTED DOCTOR,DIOGNISED IT IS AS MENTIONED BELOW.
UTERUS RETROVERTED BULKY IN SIZE AND SHAPE CHANGES OF ADENOMYOSIS SEEN.
ENDOMETRIUM NORMAL.
BOTH ADNEXA NORMAL.
POD NORMAL ADVISED TO CORRELATE CLINICALLY.

LATER PRESCRIBED FORTAB TRANEXA-MF TAB FOR 45 DAYS (3 TABS PER DAY) & LIVOGEN-2 FOR 60 DAYS (ONE TAB PER DAY).

INITILLAY FLOW CONTROLLED LATER AGAIN HEAVY FLOW BOTHER ME AT THE TIME OF PERODS.

SO IS IT ADVISED TO TAKE SAME PRESCRIPTIONS,PLS SUGGEST ME FOR IF ANY SIDE EFFECTS
Posted Thu, 14 Jun 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXXX,
thanks for the query.

your complaint, adenomyosis means in-growth of endometrium into myometrium.
the causes could be repeated child birth, vigorous curettage during D&C or hormonal.

normally uterus will be in antiverted position but in some people it can be in retroverted position may be because of presence of more adenomyosis on posterior wall.

remaining scan findings are normal.

the symptoms of adenomyosis are:
-excessive and prolonged bleeding during periods because of increased uterine cavity and decreased contraction,
-dysmenorrhea: because of disturbed uterine contraction,
-dyspareunia and increased frequency of urination can be seen.

the treatment given to you was, tranexa-mf, to control the bleeding and levogen for iron supplementation.
these act only symptomatically and will not cure the actual disease.
Repeated usage of tranexa-mf can cause back ache, stomach pain, joint pains, nausea, drowsiness etc.

now you visit your gynecologist and discuss the following options I am giving below and then with her advice choose the treatment.

the treatment options of adenomyosis are,

-hysterectomy: surgery is main part of treatment as adenomyosis will not get control with drugs usually.
according to your age and as family is completed first option comes is surgical.

-levonorgestrel-releaseing-IUS: like intra uterine devices it can be kept in uterus with half life of 5 years and said to control bleeding and dysmenorrhea of adenomyosis.

-tablets of progesterones or low dose estrogen and progesterone can be used but with little effect.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.