Heavy bleeding, Norethisterone worked temporarily, using nappies to absorb blood. Should I stop taking tablets?

I have been having dreadfully heavy periods for about 3 years now and was admitted to hospital at one stage and given norethisterone which worked great but it has suddenly stopped working and Im bleeding heavy enough to have to wear nappies as sanitary towels dont work my period now has lasted 2 weeks and am still taking tablets should I stop ??
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

Dreadfully heavy periods for last three years not controlled by norethisterone associated with anaemia do need proper investigations to rule out uterine fibroids, endometrial pathology and dysfunctional uterine bleeding .

I presume that you are taking norethisterone tablets now. Since the bleeding is continuous, you need to increase the dosage of norethisterone instead of stopping it, add hemostatic agents like tranexaemic acid and control your high blood pressure with medicines after consulting with your gynecologist. These will help in controlling your bleeding for a short period of time.

I encourage you to consult your gynecologist for a thorough evaluation. Proper treatment can be planned after the initial evaluation.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.