Heaviness in eyes and feel sleepy despite sleeping well, Genticin useless, allergy to liquor.

My eyes feel heavy and sleepy all time, this is inspite of sleeping well.
Happening for last 1 month
I thought that maybe allergic, took Gentycin eye drops
But no differnce
happens from early morning and continues for whole day
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: Heaviness in eyes and feel sleepy despite sleeping well, Genticin useless, allergy to liquor. 6 minutes later
Since last 3 months developed allergy to liquors...Whisky, wine, beer
On sipping even 1/2 peg , I immediately feel heaviness at back of my head and severe ithching at my palms of hands and legs
Early morning, till 4-5 hours, I suffer from headache

Earlier I used to drink weekly 2 pegs only for last 20 years
Never been allergic earlier
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 23 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand your eyes are if concern.

Sleepiness and heaviness can be multifactorial and would need tests to find the exact cause. Meanwhile I can enumerate issues that need to addressed which are connected to your present eye concern:

1. Alcoholism - 2 pegs daily for 20 years classifies you as an alcoholic medically, becoming prone for cirrhosis/liver conditions. This can cause puffy eyes which can give rise to heaviness. Good you stopped, but review allergic symptoms when you drink. Are you taking any other medications. Some medicines used for alcohol abuse does cause those symptoms. Rule out if anyone is giving you any herbal drugs unknowingly.

- Get yourself a liver function test.

2. Migraine - does have eye issues in most cases. Co-factors in aggravating the condition. Heaviness after the episode can manifest as heaviness in eyes too.

- Review your medications with the doctor.
- Adopt healthy lifestyle - diet/exercise.

3. Hypercholesterolemia - Excess lipids can cause deposits around the eyes, and before that can cause blurred vision due to altered aqueous humour metabolism inside the eye.

- Regular eye testing for vision (as you already have myopia - check up required every 6 months) and retinoscopy.
- Review your lipid profile tests.
- Get treated for the type of hypercholesterolemia with the right medicines.

Blood tests would be required to determine your allergic reaction. Elevated eosinophils would say so. In that case, the exact allergen is found out by allergen testing. A chest medicine specialist would be able to guide you on this.

I do not recommend using Genticin eye drops on your own. It is an antibiotic and is to be used only in cases of infections by prescription. Do not buy any eye drops again yourself.

Wash your eyes with cold clean water often.
Keep them hygienic.

Adopt exercise into your already improved lifestyle of no liquor.
Keep moist clean cloth/cotton around both eyes for 15 min daily before waking up.

I advise you to follow all the above, and I think you will be fine soon.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Follow-up: Heaviness in eyes and feel sleepy despite sleeping well, Genticin useless, allergy to liquor. 1 hour later
Sorry, you got me wrong.
I am not an alholic, as you might have missed my medical history.
I used to take only 2 pegs in a week earlier i.e once in a week that too only restricted to 2 pegs. It also was not weekly and mainly if required during official parties.

I have not got any diagnosis of my eye symptons as yet and medications required.

Solicit a medical opinion from an eye specialist
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 5 hours later
Thanks for your response.

My sincere apologies for missing that useful bit of information about your consumption of alcohol. I would consider you a social drinker and I still stick to my advice about getting absolute eosinophil count done which will help to find the exact cause of the allergy.

Diagnosis of your eye condition is not possible by limited description of symptoms you provided - heaviness. (Sleepiness is not concerned with the eye.)

Heaviness in the eye does not mean an eye condition. It is a symptom of an underlying condition that you would have. More important clinical reasons would relate to your existing conditions I have already elaborated for you.

You can consult a eye specialist if you want to. But, that is not the right approach. You would need your family physician to first examine you head to toe and then a referral would be made to the appropriate specialist necessary by him. This is the approach rationally in medicine in order that you get the right treatment for the underlying root cause of your eye condition.

I wish you good health.