Heavier than normal heartbeat, smoker. Reason?

my boyfriends 25 and a smoker. in the last week his been quiet worried as his heart has been beating much heavier than normal and he can't figure out why... can u suggest reasons this may b happening

Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later

Smoking is commonly associated with faster heart rate and occasional ectopic beats and sometimes fibrillation. A few possibilities which need to be ruled out include:
1) Anxiety and stress
2) Anemia
3) Hyperthyroidism
4) Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia
5) Heart disorders

I suggest you to get him examined from a physician and get his hemoglobin levels, thyroid function tests, EKG and stress ECHO done. An ECHO is needed to check out the recent functioning of the heart.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.