Heat intolerance with sweating, elevated BP. How can it be solved?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I am extremely intolerant of heat with profuse sweating (actually running water from my head to toe).
I have elevated blood pressure (under treatment). I'm seventy yrs old and have had this condition for about thirty-five years but at this time it is intolerable.
Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
You are sufferring from hyperhydrosis a condition causing Heat intolerance and increased sweating . This can occur in 3% of normal population as well as due to illnesses likeObesity,hypertension, hyperthyroid, diabetes , autonomic disturbances or sideffects of medications.
Considering you have had this since many years and have been on regular medical check ups I assume you must have been screened for a thyroid disorder . If not then you should get your blood thyroid profile done .Also Your weight and blood pressure are contributing factors for your hyperhydrosis .
Another more likely cause could be a sideffect of the medication Welchol .Though there are no evidence based studies , there are many case studies where patients have reported such severe hyperhydrosis after starting Welchol .
Now since you have significant medical conditions like hyperlipidemia and hypertension for which these medications are essential it is not advisable to stop or change any medication without the advice of your treating physician . So kindly discuss it with your doctor who might be able to suggest an alternative weighing the risk benefit ratio in your individual case after thorough clinical evaluation.
Meanwhile you can try the following for relief,
1. In order to reduce sweating, foods containing zinc and magnesium can help balance the metabolism of the body and therefore reduce too much sweat production. Some foods that are XXXXXXX in zinc and magnesium are oyster, crab, pumpkin seeds, as well as low fat yoghurt.

In addition to consuming the aforementioned foods, you should also drink enough water as well as eat more foods high in fiber, such as vegetables and fruits. This way, you can regulate your body’s temperature by keeping it hydrated.

2.Choose veggies that contain low choline such as raw vegetables, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, lettuces, and radishes. For fruits, choose also the ones low in choline and high in water like strawberries, pears, apples, grape juices, blueberries, and water melons.

3.Try to avoid salty ,spicy foods. Avoid caffeinated drinks or alcohol ( if applicable)Also, try to replace your regular vegetable oil with olive oil.

4. You may try natural remedies ( only under expert supervision )
Like Aloe vera,Chamomile,Chinese herb tea etc
5. If its really affecting your daily routine do much your doctor might prescribe anticholinergics like oxybutinin however medication should be best avoided in your case.
Hope I have answered your query.