Heat boils on tongue, not able to eat. Advise for treatment?

I have heat boils on my tongue which is not allowing me to eat any thing. It is very painful and it is there for the last 3 days.

No treatment took on that. Pls advise.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query,

Inflammation of the tongue is not uncommon and can happen from time to time with no obvious cause. Sometimes stress or lack of adequate sleep or possibly a viral illness can trigger this.

The usual course of this is that it will last from 7 to 10 days. I realize it is very painful but it should in fact start to level off and improve in the next 48 hours.

A few things you can try include rinsing your mouth with Maalox - over the counter liquid. This will help sooth the inflamed area. You can also apply topical Anbesol gel to the area which will give usually a temporary degree of relief of pain which will last an hour or so.

For now you will need to avoid acidic foods. It may also be difficult to brush your teeth as the salts in toothpaste can cause painful irritation of the area as well.

If for some reason the changes in your tongue do not improve within the next 5 days you should bring it to the attention of your primary doctor for further consultation.

Thanks again for the query.

I hope you found this to be a helpful and informative experience. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga