Heartburn with swollen face. Why is he unable to move it normally? Is this an emergency?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
my husband just got up and informed me he was having heartburn, when I looked at him the right side of his face is swollen and he is unable to move it normally. what is happening to him? he refuses to go to the emergency room, says nothing is wrong with him, I can see his face does not look normal, help
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query

The information provided is suggestive of stress induced Gastritis

Regarding his swollen face, if he does not have any other weakness of muscles on the same side of body and is able to hold his saliva or blow with closed lips, just keep observing

If his blood pressure is normal you may wait and observe

His hernia could be due to excess work he may be doing, a mesh helps generate fibrous tissue but cannot hold all the intestinal contents that protrude and does not replace the muscle tone that is lost

Regarding his heartburn, give him some antacid and a proton pump inhibitor and ask him to manage his obesity as it will worsen the gastritis and hernia both apart from the apparent risk it has on cardiac function

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you husband a speedy recovery